ºoº “When You Wish Upon a Star” won the 1940 Academy Award for Best Original Song. The song also became the representative song of The Walt Disney Company.
ºoº "When You Wish Upon a Star" was written by Leigh Harline and Ned Washington for Walt Disney's 1940 adaptation of Pinocchio.
ºoº The original version was sung by Cliff Edwards in the character of Jiminy Cricket and is heard over the opening credits and in the final scene of the film.
ºoº The American Film Institute ranked "When You Wish Upon A Star" seventh in their 100 Greatest Songs in Film History, the highest ranked Disney animated film song.
ºoº Songs written for the film Pinocchio but not used include:
- "I'm a Happy-Go-Lucky Fellow" (also called "Jiminy Cricket")- Jiminy Cricket (Later used in the 1947 Disney film Fun and Fancy Free)
- "As I Was Saying to the Duchess" - J. Worthington Foulfellow
- "Three Cheers For Anything" - Lampwick, Pinocchio, Alexander & Other Boys
- "Monstro the Whale" - Chorus
- "Turn On the Old Music Box" - Jiminy Cricket