DIY Food & Wine Festival Peach Cobbler
The original "Chuckwagon" recipe:
Equipment: 14" Dutch oven
For the crust
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter-flavored Crisco
1 egg and water to make 3/4 cup
For the filling
1 gallon sliced peaches less 2 cups juice
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons almond
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of salt
1/3 cup margarine or shortening
8 tablespoons cornstarch
For the crust, combine flour and salt together. Mix in Crisco until well combined. Add egg mixture and stir thoroughly. Roll out dough and set aside.
For the filling, makes the peaches, sugar, almonds, cinnamon, and salt together. Cook and thicken the mixture with cornstarch and water over fire until well combined. Grease a 14" Dutch oven with the margarine and add the peach mixture. Top with the crust dough - place oven on hot coals and cover with lid until crust is golden brown.
Now for the DIY Topless Peach Cobbler Recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick (Marie Callender's Multigrain Baking Mix works as well)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tspn nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted in the oven to coat the dish
- 1 cup sugar (1/2 cup is ok too)
- 3 c. cut up peaches (can be fresh, frozen(thawed) or 1 (29 ounce) cans sliced peaches, drained
Optional:1/4 tspn vanilla1/4 tspn almond extract1 cup Strawberries1 cup BlueberriesCinnamon to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Stir together Bisquick, milk, nutmeg, vanilla, almond.
- Stir in butter until blended.
- Pour batter into 8x8 baking dish.
- Mix together peaches and sugar.
- Spoon peaches over batter. Do not mix together, the batter will rise over the peaches when it bakes.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes until golden.
- Optional: Top with cinnamon & sugar